If you don’t know where to look next for inspiration, then we have chosen what we consider the best books, videos and websites to help you on your way. Take a look and if you have a suggestion for a life-changing book or film that we have missed then get in touch
- The Transition Handbook, Rob Hopkins – This is the book that started off the Transition Movement in the UK. Sections on climate change, peak oil and then how to become a transition town. Good introductory book
- Heat, George Monbiot – How we could reduce our emissions and still live to tell the tale
- Collapse, Jared Diamond
- Do Good Lives Have to Cost the Earth, Andrew Simms
- Hell and High Water, Alastair McIntosh
- The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency, John Seymour
- The Idler 42 (Smash the System), Tom Hodgkinson
- The Gift – How the Creative Spirit Transforms the World, Lewis Hyde
- Not on the Label – What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate, Felicity Lawrence
- In Defence of Food, Michael Pollan
- The Oil Drum – The Peak Oil site. Daily updates and debate
- Powerswitch – Great Uk based forum and debate about energy/peak-oil
Free books and articles
- The Abolition of Work by Bob Black – Starting off with the line “No-one should ever work”, it needs to be read!
- Sustainable Energy Without the Hot Air – More interesting than the title suggests. A great summary document and book about the energy we use and how much we could produce
- A Matter of Scale, Keith Farnish – Wow! We are destroying the planet and the only way of stopping that happening is by becoming an active participant in the destruction of capitalism….
Videos and Documentaries
- The Crash Course – A 45 minute primer on peak oil and financial collapse. US-focussed but it affects us all.
- Real Seeds – An amazing online store for buying good quality organic seeds. A not-for-profit company who actively encourage saving seeds and buying less from them!